Serbs Have Killed 300 in Safe Haven of Gorazde
The Tuscaloosa News, p. 3A
N.Y. Times News Service
5 June 1993.
SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina — Bosnian Serb forces kept up their offensive on a designated safe area in eastern Bosnia Friday, despite their political leader’s assurance to U.N. officials on Thursday that they would unilaterally hold their fire.
A weeklong assault against the Bosniak enclave around the town of Gorazde, designated as a safe area by the United Nations, has killed 300 people and wounded hundreds more, reports on the Bosniak-controlled Bosnian radio said Friday.
Bosnian Serb artillery continued shelling Gorazde Friday. About 3,000 shells landed Thursday on the Gorazde pocket, which contains some 60,000 people, including tens of thousands of Bosniak refugees, the radio reports said.
Serbian militia members were looting villages inside the safe area near the village of Ustipraca, the reports said, loading plunder into trucks and driving off in the direction of the Drina River city of Visegrad, which the Serbs occupied and purged of its Bosniak population last year.
Some of the refugees driven from 42 villages in the safe area are living on the streets in Gorazde, the reports said.
U.N. officials could not confirm the Sarajevo radio accounts of the attacks on Gorazde, because Bosnian Serb military commanders refused again Friday to allow the organization’s military observers into the safe area, a U.N. military spokesman here said.